Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Minmin

Minmin: Harry's new word for mitten.
Let's go get our minmins on and go outside.
One of the best parts about a toddler is that they come up with new Cornellisms almost daily. I have to struggle sometimes to use the actual word for something instead of Harry's new take on it. But minmin is just too cute to correct.

Harry's language ability and personality is just exploding more and more each day. He is intelligible more than unintelligible and if he can't quite get the word out, he will still try to get his point across somehow. He also has serious ideas about how things should be, and if they don't meet his wishes, he'll be sure to let me know that too. He's quite the strong willed toddler and also incredibly active and into everything. One of our favorite activities on Monday morning is to watch for the garbage truck. Our house is located at somewhat of an intersection, so we can usually see the truck more than once if we hang out by the window. This time, the truck was early and Harry heard it while he was still finishing breakfast. He was very eager to get out and make sure he got to see the truck.

At our last check-up one of the handouts gives you some ideas of what you're toddler will be doing at 18-24 months. One of those is that your child may show an attachment to a toy or blanket. And right on schedule, Harry developed a love for Teddy. Lambie is second, and only comes along sometimes, but we often take Teddy out with us.

Harry found his hat and minmins in his diaper bag and immediately felt the need to wear them around the house, even though we weren't going anywhere quite yet. I think they're quite fetching with pajamas.

Harry is starting to love reading books with me. This is seriously one of the best things in my life. Almost nothing makes me happier than when Harry voluntarily brings me books and has me sit and read it. I'll stop almost anything I'm doing to read to him, and I think he's starting to use that against me. We have regular story time before nap and bedtime, but he'll also bring me books at other times, just because. I hope this is the first step to raising a reader!

Here we are reading Bear Snores On. This was one of his favorites for a while. Of course, Teddy wanted to hear it too.

Bear and Teddy, best friends. We call the teddy bear Teddy, to make the distinction between the Bear and the Teddy clear.

Harry must've been cold one morning because he insisted on having his pajamas put on over his clothes. Then, of course, perfect time to read some more books.

My mom felt she hadn't spoiled Harry enough recently and also felt that he needed a play table. Here, the two kids see what it can do. It can be used for trains and duplo blocks and everything else. Thankfully, he still hasn't figured out how to get up on the table.

We also got a great matching toy box that helps keep things somewhat contained.

Harry's most favorite toy is actually the blender. I hate letting him play with it, but the blades themselves aren't sharp, he keeps his hands away from them, and all the plugs in the house are very well protected. He likes flipping the switches and putting the top on the base. When I need to use the blender, he actually looks put out that I would take away his toy, and I should be grateful that he's letting me borrow it. He'd much rather play with almost anything in the kitchen instead of actual toys. Maybe he'll be a famous chef?

A little while ago, we watched our friend Nora. Nora and Harry are about a month apart in age, and play together pretty well. Harry found Nora's hat to play with and I felt it was only fair that Nora wear Harry's hat.

Here they are looking at books with their favorite toys. This lasted as long as it took me to take the picture.
Harry's eyeteeth are taking their sweet time coming in and he's been pretty miserable. I gave him a popsicle to help with the pain. He liked it well enough, but didn't even try to finish it. I bet he would've if I'd given him ice cream.


And to finish with some close-ups of the cutest bear ever.

No comments: